3 S.R. Johannes: HindSight is 20/20 Unless Your Near-sited Like Me

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

HindSight is 20/20 Unless Your Near-sited Like Me

I am procrastinating finishing my last few chapters on my tween paranormal book (which BTW I am loving right now and having so much fun with.)

To me, the hardest time about writing is the beginning. I get great ideas - its just starting them.

I love the moment when you are ALMOST done with a book and it is just pouring out of you. So fast that you almost cant type coherently.


Then my fingers started to cramp.

Damn fingers!

I was sitting here writing (well technically typing) when my hands started to cramp which made me stop for a break which made me start thinking - man I wish i would have learned to type better which led me to this post.

HindSight is 20/20

And in hindsight, these are all the things I wish I had never done:

  1. cheat in my typing class. Don't get me wrong I am a fast pecker (wait that doesn't sound good does it?). I am a fast typer with about 5 fingers - 3 on my right hand and 2 on my left (wait thumbs count as fingers - right?). I wonder if I'd done typing class the right way would I be typing faster? Which makes me wonder if I'd be writing faster? Which makes me wonder if I'd crank out books faster? At the very least, I am pretty sure I would have avoided the "claw-hands" on the keyboard.
  2. complained about my weight before kids ( I'll throw in another one here - never yo-yo dieted). I have been on a diet for the last 6 weeks, have lost 14 lbs and have 8 to go just to get back to my pre-baby weight (notice i said weight! not shape!) And do you know what? The pre-baby weight is what I used to complain about and call fat. Now, it's the weight I (and my tightish clothes) only dream about. I'm talking if I could just get back into my pair of Skinny-Fat jeans, I'd be happy. The skinny-skinny jeans are a joke at this point. I didn't really start this diet (or now way of eating) to lose weight (though I should have), I started it b/c of the 6 month vertigo thing, thinking maybe if I detox I'll feel better. And it worked! But I had to drop everything - caffeine, dairy, sugar and complex carbs ( I sound so healthy right?), but the drop in weight has been great. Why did I ever complain about where I was - it's crazy cuz I now I realized I looked damn good :)

  3. left journalism school to become a business major. I don't think there is much I need to explain on this one - its obvious right? I am so much more happier now writing in jeans and flip flops than I was in my expensive executive suits. But more than anything, I could really use that MFA (instead of my MBA) about now. To think I was only 3 letters (C, D, and E) away from my path! So close!

  4. took out a 20 year graduate school loan! yes that's right, this is my last year for those who just grabbed a calculator and tried to figure out my age *sigh*. In graduate school, I had the option of 10, 15 or 20 years. I chose 20 to keep my payments down and of course (just like my parents said -you were right dad!!) I never paid more than I had to in any month. Now 20 years later and probably 100,000$ instead of 20,000$, I can see the end. Only 3,000$. AH! Well at least it will be gone before I turn 40 in 2 years.

  5. went out of state for my college degrees. Auburn's grad program (though I loved my time there - War Eagle!) was 4 times as expensive as UGA's. See #4 for further explanation of why this is a regret.

  6. bought our expensive car. We bought a BMW before I quit my high-paying, high-fluting executive job. Every month when I write the car payment, I cringe. Why I thought expensive cars were so cool and necessary, is beyond me. Now I just want to get rid of it but of course in this economy - what crazy person is buying a BMR. And those that are, surely don't want my cheerio-infested, grimy handled one. I look forward to the days of old cars, lots of miles, and low payments. Though now my hubby drives it and I have my jeep Commander. The BMW just wasn't me :) You cant be a starving writer and ride around in a BMW. It doesn't fit the image.

  7. was late on paying my bills on time. Yes, in this economy on only one salary, credit is key to low interest and loan offers when needed. Now, I am good at paying bills but I wasn't always. Now, I have BillPay at BofA (love it!). And my late-late payments were years ago, but unfortunately still within the dread 7 year window. *sigh*. I just could not remember to pay bills when I was in college, traveling on my job and especially when I was prego - sorry honey but still i did it like 90% of the time. But it doesn't matter - one or two kill you.



That's it for now - my claw hands are back. :)

14 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

That's a good list. I'm right a long w/ you on most of them.

and YaY for you having a good time w/ your WIP. That's a great feeling! :0)

christy

Lynnette Labelle said...

LOL I can imagine what you must look like typing away. Tricky, I'll bet.

Good work on the weight loss.

Lynnette Labelle

”Lynnette Labelle’s Blog”

Jennifer Shirk said...

You are not going to beleive this, but... I kept my high school prom gown and decided to take it to a tailor to make it less 80ish. And I had to have it TAKEN IT IN! After having my kiddo, my figure got all shifty. LOL!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

lynn - I look like the dancers in thriller - with the claws

jennifer - oh rub it in! you had it taken IN - like to be skinner/smaller? Im hating you right now ;) (good job!)

christy - you going to say which ones?:0

Kelly Polark said...

Isn't it fun when you words just spill out of you? I'm like that with my first chapter book right now.
14 pounds?! That is AWESOME! I just could NOT cut out all of those things. KUDOS to you, girl!
My mom made me take typing in high school. I am SO glad she did! (But my hubby wishes I took home ec too since I can't sew!)

Sherrie Petersen said...

I was telling my son about my typing teacher the other day, how she would stand in front of the classroom screaming, "A, A, A, A!" Ah, the memories :^)

I've experienced 7. And 2 and 3. Ha! But I switched back from business because I HATED it!

lisa and laura said...

LOVE the list and tell me more about this detox. I'd love to drop 10 pounds before I have to run around in a bathing suit this summer!

P.S.
Congrats on the honorable mention on MSFV's!

Traci said...

Too cute!! I'm right there with you on the bills. :-/

Kelly H-Y said...

What a great list! Loved it! Cracked up at your comment on #1! Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the student loan tunnel!

Corey Schwartz said...

UGHH. I never even took typing! Boy, was that a mistake! I have lots of "if only's," but then I think of the words of the song from Rent: There's only us. There's only this. Forget regrets. Or life is yours to miss.

And that helps me a bit! :)

Patti said...

I'm still trying to lose my baby weight, but my baby since my baby is 7 can I still call it that.

I agree on the beginning being hard and the end euphoric.

Lynnette Labelle said...

I left an award for you on my blog. Check it out.

Lynnette Labelle

"Lynnette Labelle's Blog"

Cathy C. Hall said...

Oh, snap. I cheated in typing class, too! And I've so regretted it for like, 30 years (I refuse to type in front of other writers :-)

Jessie Oliveros said...

Good job losing the weight. I wonder if you could re-learn typing, but maybe it is like re-learning how to walk. And yea! for almost finishing paying off that student loan. I see the end in sight as well, but I'm not $3000 close.