3 S.R. Johannes: Sharing the Love and special shout outs

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sharing the Love and special shout outs

Special shout out to Robyn Campbell and Katie Salides in thanks for the recognition on my blog :) I love awards!!! They are right up there with new blog followers, FB friends, Twitters following my tweets, blog comments, and oh yeah - gifts....presents. (wait, does that sound bad???)

Mostly, I love awards because I can pass them on and share other great blogs I follow :)

Award #1: Kreativ Blogger Award (with a capital K. BTW, leave it to me to get the award that is spelled wrong. :) Hey - if you saw my new line edits, you would understand why!)

(from Katie Salides at Step 1Write, Edit and Revise)

Here are the rules:
1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated.

7 (really boring) things about me.....that you probably don't care to know and could definitely live without.

1. I used to sing in a jazz band. I actually always thought I'd be a professional singer. If only I was not too old to try out for American Idol. I guess there's always America's Got Talent :) (I didn't know in my heart yet that writing professionally was even an option for me. Until I was out of college, I thought all writers were dead. Don't ask me why.)

2. I love to do Bikram Yoga. The hotter the better. For those of you who do not know, it is yoga done in 108-112 degree room. It is amazing!!! At the end of my class, they always hand out frozen lavender-smelling washcloths. Before I had kids, I did this yoga at least 5 times a week and had a rock hard body. Not so much anymore. (sorry to hubby!) I hope to return soon. :)

3. My husband is from UK. And, yes he has a sexy accent. He's actually from a small town in Wales. After we first got married, his company messed up his Visa and he was sent back to UK for 8 weeks until the British Consulate redid his passport. I spent a whole day (and night along with a few bottles of wine) thinking he was dead in a ditch somewhere b/c the airline would not inform me he was detained. I even got pulled aside in Atlanta Hartsfield Airport by security for "creating a scene" which really meant I was crying too loudly. What can I say it was after Sept 11th, so I guess my wailing spooked some people.

4. I really think I'm going to be on Oprah someday. Yes all my friends laugh at me. But I have had recurring dreams about me sitting on a couch talking to her - about what I don't know - so who knows. Weird huh? After my ex-fiance called off our wedding (2 weeks before the date). I sent in an essay to Oprah on the topic "How I pulled through a bad time." Mine was actually published in O magazine under an article title called "When I was dumped." Nice huh? But hey, I was proud - after all - it was in O magazine! Nothing like the whole world knowing. right? Wait - can I put that in my bio - that I was published in O magazine???

5.I was chosen to be in the show and pet Shamoo at Sea World. Yes, I have it on tape. I even said something brilliant. When asked "what does he feel like?" by the trainer, I yelled into the microphone (obviously not knowing how loud it was) "a tire". I think Shamoo was offended b/c he splashed me. Which doesn't sound bad, except I walked around the rest of the afternoon smelling like a fish. I have it all on tape but at parties I usually only show my parachuting one. makes me look cooler.

6. I traveled through Europe for a month by myself when I was 25. It was awesome. I was attacked on a train by a group of boys trying to mug me. Special shout out to the Italian train conductor for saving my life that night. I got stranded in Geneva without a hotel. And I was stuck in Piccadilly Circus for about 4 hours (11 pm - 3am) b/c I could not get a cab.

7. I have a special power. That's right. I am a superhero. Jealous? Whenever I touch something electronic, it breaks. I must have some kind of overactive magnetic field. Things never break down when my hubby is using them, only me. To give you an example - this was my week - my dishwasher broke (yes I had to wash dishes like in the old west except it was in a sink not a river). my car broke down (a day after we paid for it, while I was driving it. My hubby drovei t the whole weekend and it worked fine. I get in and NOTHING.), my TV broke while my hubby was out of town (yes you busted me, this is why I am caught up on blogs). And my cable broke and then came back on the day they were coming to fix it (we have no idea why).

Man I just realized how boring I am. And those 7 were hard for me to come up with.

Now, wouldn't it be funny if I now told you they were all lies! They're not but it'd be a great joke if "I'm a great liar" was #7. tee hee.

7 Kreativ Blogs

1) Jodi meadows (slush pile reader) - at Words and Wardances, she does a series called Slush stats where she shows her notes on query letters. It is very eye-opening. she is also on Twitter.

2) Frenetic Reader - Khy is a great teen reviewer for children's books, primarily MG/YA. I love reading teen blogs about their view on the books they read.

3. Plot This - My friends and aspiring writers, Katie and SF Hardy, run a great blog together.

4. Lisa and Laura Write - These girls are sisters, they write together (i still don't understand how that works exactly) and they are HIlarious!

5. Lisa's Little Corner.... - Lisa Schroeder is one of my fav authors so I was estatic to meet her in LA (and a little nervous). Her book "I heart you" led me to my tween angel story. BTW, she is as cool and funny as she is brilliant.

6. Dream the Dream - Brit seems to always reach in and find something I am worrying about.So maybe she can reads minds too. Who knows? you'll have to read her to find out.

7. Heather Hansen - Met her in person in LA and she is as funny in person as she is on her blog.


Award #2: Literary Blogging Award
(from Robyn Campbell at Putting Pen to Paper.)

BTW me? a literary award? This may be the only time I ever get that! :)

Here are the rules:
1) Accept the award and post a link back to the awarding person.
2) Pass the award on (the rules differ here; sometimes you pass on to one person, five, or even more).
3) Notify award winner.

I'm only going to do one since I think I just broke something coming up with the last 7.

My choice is.....

Sarah Davies (FYI - I learned her last name is pronounced Davis!!) from Greenhouse Literary. Not only is she a FABULOUS person and ROCKING agent. But she also writes beautifully and her posts always seem to touch me in some unexpected way.

Whew I'm exhausted! Hope you got some new blogs from this!


14 comments:

Katie Ganshert said...

Congrats on the awards, Shelli! I didn't think those things were boring at all! I hope you had a great weekend and I hope your little girl is enjoying kindergarten. :)

batsick said...

AWESOME! Thanks for looking at my blog, btw.

Katie Anderson said...

Wow! I am so totally honored!!!! Thank you so much sweet Shelli!

Stephanie Faris said...

Congrats on the award. Now hurry up and get on Oprah before she retires!!!

Adrienne said...

Not boring at all! Very cool about the essay in O magazine. :)

Deb said...

Congrats! :)

Lisa Schroeder said...

Thanks Shelli, you are too kind. And if those things are boring, I'm in big trouble.

lisa and laura said...

Aww! Thanks Shelli! You totally made our day. Can't wait until we can finally meet in person...next year SCBWI?

Elana Johnson said...

I loved reading the stuff about you. Totally not boring, BTW. Congrats on the awards, and dude, I so see you on Oprah. :)

Sherrie Petersen said...

You are just pulling in the awards these days! I hope when you go on Oprah to promote your book, you get to sing, too =)

Susan R. Mills said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read some of the links you provided. I love finding new blogs!

Ryan S. Kinsgrove said...

I have that superpower too. Isn't it awesome!

C.R. Evers said...

LOL about Shamoo! :0)

Christina Lee said...

Congrats- you always have great links and info. on here so you deserve it! Some of your list surprised me-esp. #1 and #3! :)very cool!