3 S.R. Johannes: I am a GLeek!

Sunday, September 06, 2009

I am a GLeek!


OK guys. I finally got around to watch last week's episode on GLee. It is amazing.

There are so many things to love about this show!

Top 10 reasons GLEE gives me glee!

10) It's funny. I laughed in alot of places. Some of the comments made me shake my head b/c they are so true, yet so sad to hear. And yes I even got teary at the end when the kids were all on stage dancing and singing. I am a sucker!

9) Love how the show has the same ole stereotypes yet still seems fresh. Agents and editors are always saying "this is a stereotype!" but these types of people still exist and they still work if you do them right. You just have to tie in a little something different. A jock who likes to sing. A cheerleader who likes to pray. A geeky girl who is confident and knows she's talented. And, the teacher who wants to save the underdogs yet instead of a sports team or poor school, it is a glee club. Just goes to show you can still make it work!

8) Emma (the school counselor) is too cute. At first, I did not want to like her - she was all in skirts, heels and silky tops. But I love that she wears plastic gloves when she sits in the teachers lounge. She also draws hearts around Mr Shu's pictures in her school book. A counselor who's a bit nuts is always fun, yet so endearing you already want Mr Shu to dump his phony wife and hook up with Emma! And its only been one show.

7) Terri (Mr Shu's wife) sux! First off, I have never gravitated towards really "crafty people" so the crafty thing bugs me. She even complains about having a cheap glue gun! (sorry to all you crafty bloggers - I love you as long as you are cool about it!) Mostly, I have a HUGE bias against people who try to prevent others from living their dreams in total happiness just because they want more money or a different status.

6) Love the music! They covered many decades of music just in the first show. My fav - the 80s twist! The song matched with the mullet guy. "Don't stop believing" by Journey used to be my favorite song when I was 11. I was in 6th grade and at a private school where kids used to throw rocks at me. I was miserable but only there for a year. It was a traumatizing year for many reasons, but this song (along with Air Supply!) pulled me through. (BTW I love Steve Perry - how can you not? the acid wash jeans, the hair, the leopard shirt??)




5) Poor Artie (wheelchair kid) is adorable. When I was in high school, my best friend Lauren, had cystic fibrosis (excess mucus in her throat body) and she especially struggled when she sang in the Glee/chorus club. But she loved to sing more than anything and fought through it. She deteriorated after high school and died when I was away in college. Poor Lauren. It amazed me (even then) how people would be so mean when they had no idea what a person was really going through. While they were worried about their hair, Lauren was worried at what age she was going to die. Back then in the 80s - the life expectancy was only 18!

4) Rachel - OMG. She has an amazing voice. I mean the kind that gives you chills. It's so clear and effortless. I used to sing in a Jazz band and sometimes wonder if I should have continued onto be a singer. I had so many opportunities that I passed by. Rachel makes me miss singing. When I was in high school, I wanted nothing more than to be on Broadway.

3) Coach Sue - I love Jane Lynch - loved her in Mighty Wind and Best in Show. In Role Models - her best line was "Don't mess with me. I used to have cocaine for breakfast." She's just as funny in this show. She calls her cheerleading squad "the Cherrios", drinks Protein shakes, and is a real meany. But she makes me laugh. The funniest line so far? "You think this is hard? Living with hepatitis is hard!"

2) Mr Shu is Gleeky hottie. Do you know how you know when a man is hot? He's cute. He sings. He play guitar. He loves kids. He wears button down sweaters and gets away with it. Oh yeah - and he makes John Denver's "I'm leaving on a jet plane." sound like a cool song again. I miss my Denver albums: Rhymes and Reasons and Poems and Prayers (yes I said albums!) - used to play them all the time. Yay! All us old people can now be cool again because we know all the words!!!



1) OK confession time!!! The main reason I like this show the most because I was in the Glee Club/Chorus in my high school. (Now lets see how many people UNfollow my blog!!!) Yes I was a Gleek!! But I was also a cheerleader (Don't ask!) and so I was teased about it by football team/other sportzy people. But I loved it and didn't really care.(not b/c of a high self esteen b/c I hated to be told what to do!) I played Rizzo in our school Grease rendition and also one of the leads in "Little Whorehouse of Texas" (which probably was not appropriate for high school???? now that I think about it). So I totally relate to this show. Too much.

You can still watch the pilot episode and the new season begins on Sept 9th (this wed).

If you write for kids, you will love this show. It is a glimpse into high school.

17 comments:

lisa and laura said...

I'm forcing my husband to watch it tonight. I'm in love. Can not wait for the new episode on Wednesday and I LOVE that you were in glee in HS.

Lisa Schroeder said...

Ha - I was thinking of doing a post similar to this! I loved it too!!

I was in the chorus in school, but we didn't do anything like what they do in Glee - costumes and dancing and all that? I would have LOVED that.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

lisa and laura - i vote that from now on you sign your name so I know who is leaving comments :)

Unknown said...

It is such a great show! I am in awe of it. I stare at it, wondering how it could be translated into words...

Jessie Oliveros said...

I've read another blog-rec about this show, but really, you covered it. The producers of Glee need to pay you for promoting it so well. And I loved the little hints about yourself, especially that you went from a teased sixth grader (ouch, rocks) to a gleeing cheerleader. And Rizzo? I would have loved to see that. Haven't heard of the Whorehoues of Texas, though, but it makes me laugh. I sang in choir, but definitely was not Rizzo material.

Unknown said...

Gleek and proud of it!

Megan Burke said...

loving your top 10!
loving glee!

Christina Lee said...

ooh ooh me too, me too (I was in show choir-same thing really)!!!

storyqueen said...

One of my daughters is in show choir! What I like about the show is that it's all made up of good parts. It's kind of like min-lesson in good storytelling. Every scene is entertaining and necessary.

Shelley

Cuppa Jolie said...

Just like Lisa (or Laura) I made my hubby watch it with me (I mean, come on...he's made me watch enough History Channel!) and I think he might have like it, too. Well, probably not as much as me, but I did love it for all the same reasons, except one (your number one). NO one would have ever wanted me to be in Glee club...nope...but can I still be a Gleek?

Adrienne said...

I only saw this once but I thought it was fun. Jane Lynch is always funny.

Elana Johnson said...

I agree. I'm a total addict!

Danyelle L. said...

*crawls out from under her rock*

I have to admit that I've never heard of this. :$ It sounds great though! :D

ali cross said...

I totally love it too! It's probably my favorite new show of the season - hurray!

And I love your top ten ... Jane Lynch is probably in my number one spot reason for loving Glee but all of your reasons rock!

Roni Loren said...

I really enjoyed the first episode too. I love that they are doing 80s music choir style.

C.R. Evers said...

I've never watched this. I guess I should try sometime. I hear nothing but good things about it.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I totally LOVE Mr. Schuester and Finn is just adorable. I can totally picture you as Rizzo. I'm really missing singing right now too. Next time we're together we're going to have to find a piano or a karaoke club or something :)