3 S.R. Johannes: Christine Fonseca knows her kids!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Christine Fonseca knows her kids!

Last month, my daughter got into the Discovery gifted program at her school. And, I must say she seems to be doing better. She is such an awesome kid - so smart - smarter than me. But she is so intense. her feelings are all over the place.

I read Emotional Intensity when it came out last year and am excited about Christine's next one.

I met Christine last year at SCBWI and she opened my eyes. (not to mention she is funny and adorable.) She's a school psychologist and so so smart.

Emotional Intensity for the Gifted Child was her first book.This book helps parents and teachers understand why your gifted child is so
intense and helps them understand how to work through their emotions and frustrations.

It helped me see that all the questions and - what looks like defiance - and independence.

You can look inside the book to see if it is for you here.

Now, she has another one coming out: 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Children

101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids: The Ultimate Handbook is a must-read for gifted kids ages 8 to 12 who want to find success in school and life. If you’re a gifted kid or you know gifted kids, you need the 101 awesome secrets, tips, and tricks included in this book!

Here is an excerpt to see if this book is for your child. I personally think some of the ideas and strategies ca work for any smart child so don't shut away because it says GIFTED. Besides, we ALL think our kids are GIFTED right? :)

For more information, head to Christina's blog.

13 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Yay! Christine is awesome. I have a copy of Emotional Intensity and my copy of 101 Success Secrets is already pre-ordered. :-)

Yat-Yee said...

Another writer friend with an intense gifted child recommended this book as well. Sometimes I think the gifted programs are totally unsuitable for certain types of gifted kids. It's important to find out different environments that work for those who may not fit well in some programs, which are primarily regular programs going faster.

Janet Johnson said...

Christine is awesome! Her book is amazing and so helpful. I'm looking forward to her second one, too. :D

Catherine Denton said...

Wow, that DOES sound good.

M. Reka said...

Sounds really good one
Short Poems

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats to Christine. She's awesome and I'm glad she's having another book come out.

Christine Fonseca said...

You made my DAY!!! Thank you Shelli and all of the commenters.

Jenilyn Collings said...

Hey, thanks for the recommendation! This looks like one I need to get a copy of!

Jemi Fraser said...

This book is a wonderful idea - being gifted doesn't mean life is easy-peasy. It comes with its own challenges & I'm so glad this book is available for people!

Kelly Polark said...

Thank you for the book recommendations. I am definitely going to check these out. Good to know for the mom in me and teacher in me.

Hilary Wagner said...

I LOVE this girl! I think she's so awesome! I think Christina is going to have lots more books on the shelves in coming years!

xoxo -- Hilary

Tristi Pinkston said...

Christine is pretty awesome - I've never met her in person but I love her Tweets and Facebook updates. :)

B.J. Anderson said...

Congrats on the new book, Christine!!!