3 S.R. Johannes: In the aftermath of Untraceable's launch...

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

In the aftermath of Untraceable's launch...

Update: Check out this contest going on for the best cover - Untraceable vs Delerium. Go check it out! You might even be able to see Grace's boxing gloves.


First, thank you to everyone for everything- from the bottom of my heart!


I appreciate all the tweets and emails and notes last week. The support and encouragement. I was actually so overwhelmed by you all that I had to step away from my computer that day. I cried, I laughed, and I silently thanked each of you.


I promised I'd be honest with you guys on everything. But before I say anything else - I just want to say this.


I could not have done it without you guys - the bloggers and my online peeps. YOU made this book successful - not me. I could never have done this alone. YOU got the word out and YOU supported me. This community is amazing and I owe my great day to you. So thank you.


I hope my debut has shown each of you what one person can do on their own. That no matter what - DONT give up because there are many, many different paths you can take. And sometimes I know it might feel like you are on the wrong path or stumbling up the right path - but in the end - just know that we all take different routes and we all get there in different ways. 


Some run up the path and don't even trip. Some walk slowly so they don't trip and then there are others - like me - who trained for the run, met all the right people, and tried to sprint it the fastest. Only to fall down, get back up, trip over a rock (how did that get there?) and tumble down again, get tripped by someone (you know who you are! ;) , and are pushed and stepped on. And then manage to still get on your feet and keep going. 


That even through the scraped knees, sore muscles, and exhaustion - I never gave up. I kept getting up and I kept moving on. yes I cried. yes I yelled. I even cursed a few people (forgive me!) but one thing I did - was never let them convince me that my dream was over. I just redefined my dreams along the way. And last week - I took back control and made them mine again.


After all that - last week's successful debut was what I won in the end. So worth it. Because writing is never about the money or the fame. It is never about getting the biggest deal. Writing is about how I feel, my passion, what I have to say, and reaching goals for myself so I can grown. But most of all, I've made new friends over the last few months, I've seen how the industry can rally around someone,  and those things have meant the most.


So - don't give up! You can do it - and when the path seems to lead to nowhere - maybe it leads someplace different and unexpected. You might have to do it on your own or with someone different but you can still do it. You might just have to step away from what you expected or thought it would be and be open to a different path and journey.


So here are some stats for my first week. I wasn't going to share them but I promised you all in the beginning of this journey that I would take you to the end with me - if you followed along. And I don't go back on my word. (I'm not sure if these # are totally final because some of the reporting lags but it's what I know so far.)



In my first week - I sold about 250 copies of Untraceable.
60 paperbacks
51 other formats
100 amazon
40 B&N


Am I a Bestseller? no. Am I rich beyond belief - uh hardly. But my little book that everyone said would go nowhere, did really good :) 


Considering a few big name authors I know sold about 1,000 copies their first week, my little book did damn good and I'm proud of Untraceable


Other wins for Untraceable
  • ebook debuted at #10 in Amazon's Hot new ebook releases
  • it made #44 in ebooks for children/action and adventure
  • the paperback made in the the top 100 for fiction action and adventure
And I owe it all to you guys for helping me spread the word!


The winners of the Prelaunch Party for getting the word out are:
Amanda Milner
Chery Colyer
Sheri Larsen

You may each choose from one of these prizes and email me at shelli@srjohannes.
  • A stack of new bestselling hardbacks (YA)
  • A 1 hour consulting session with me for free (can be on writing, indie pubbing, marketing, etc)
  • Query critique (MG or YA)
I also gave out a lot of prizes including amazon gift cards, books, and other gifts at the online launch party so congrads to all the winners.


Thank you to everyone! I hope you enjoy my book and please email me anytime.









13 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

Thanks for sharing! What a wonderful release/launch day! Can't wait for the second book!

And this is just one of the reasons I blog. The support is incredible!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the ups and downs and numbers--you deserve all your successes!

Unknown said...

Woot! A great first week.

Amanda Milner said...

OMG! That's so awesome. :) Congratulations, those are great numbers and they'll only continue to grow. :D

Your post is exactly what I needed to hear. Very motivating and inspirational in more ways than just the writing journey. :)

And woo hoo! I never win, so cool!! Lol!

Huntress said...

Woo HOO!!
Thanks for the updates cuz I was dying to know how your launch went.

But now you must get cracking.
Back to that keyboard so we can learn what happens next to Grace.

Congrats!! *confetti and streamers thrown**

DL Hammons said...

I can't say that I'm surprised. You planned, you were organized, you considered every angle, and most importantly, you wrote a book that would satisfy! Here's your well-deserved pat on the back and CONGRATS! :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats Shelli. So glad your first week went so well. And that you're so happy with the path you chose. Thanks for being so honest and encouraging all of us to follow our dreams too.

Looking forward to your interview tomorrow!

Jemi Fraser said...

THose are great numbers! I'm so happy everything is going so well - the book is fabulous. And so are you. Thanks so much for sharing this journey with us and teaching us how to do it well! :)

Paula said...

Congrats!! What a wonderful week!! I'm so happy for you and also appreciate the encouragement you give the rest of us stumblers.

Heather said...

Congratulations on a fantastic first week, and many more to come! I'm off to check out the cover contest.

Gabi said...

Congrats! I haven't ordered it yet, but I am planning on doing that soon. :] I'm so excited to read it!

Mim said...

Congrats! I'm reading and really enjoying it right now! I am glad everything worked out so well for you. I know you worked hard to make it happen.

ali cross said...

Your stats are amazing! Congratulations on making a BIG splash with your "little" book!