3 S.R. Johannes: Flying the Coop

Monday, August 25, 2008

Flying the Coop

When does Empty Nest Syndrome start?

Is it possible to have "empty nest" syndrome when your kids are under the age of 4?

I always assumed that "syndrome" came at 18 when kids left for school.

But I think I am going through it a bit.

Next week - my daughter (4.5) starts her pre k program 5 days week and my son (18 months) starts his new mommy's day out program 3 days a week.

I am ok with my daughter going back. I am more anxious about the looming Kindergarden move next year. This is my last year with her where I am still the coolest thing in her world. She is growing up so fast. I mean this morning I am watching her and amazed at this little person who is so much like me. She says the most grown-up things:

Me: Honey, you need to stop getting so big. I want you to stay my baby."
Madelyn: "Mommmmmy, it's part of life. I'll always be your baby but I'm goingto miss you when I am an adult."

Say What?????

I am more freaked out by my little one. Even though he is only going 3 days a week/48 hrs a months/720 minutes a day (and to think I suck at math), I feel guilty and I realize he is not a baby anymore.

Here is what I came up with:
In each week - here are 168 hrs.Most young one sleep about 14 hrs a day = 98 hrs.

Leaving 85 waking hrs.
He will be in school 12 hrs.
So I will be with him 73 out of 85 hrs.

Since I do not have plans to have another - I am realizing my baby years are almost gone.


Now, I'm left with semi-empty nest syndrome. The house will be quieter (definately not used to that) and I am going to have a period of time when my "mom brain" get to shut off. A brain that has been on overdrive for almost 5 years.

Don't get me wrong - I am looking forward to the 12 hrs my son will be in school b/c now I get to learn how to write during daylight hrs (dont even know if I can do it? Used to 10 - 2am).

I am just sad about my babies flying the coop. Even if they fly back in a few hrs.








1 comment:

Carrie Harris said...

I know this entry is old, but I so identify with this empty nest syndrome problem. My son is 5, and my twins are 2 1/2. And part of me is bouncing at the idea that I'll have the house ALL TO MYSELF. I'll be able to go grocery shopping without anyone pulling things off the shelves. I won't have to buy diapers. Woo hoo!

But I won't have babies any more. I won't have new baby smell. Awww....