3 S.R. Johannes: The Perfect Solace

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Perfect Solace

I just got back from a fabulous weekend at the Mid-South Fall Conference in Nashville, Tennessee. I never knew my should could be so full.

I got to hang out with writers and talk about writing all weekend.

I have gone to conferences in the past but always alone. So I never really spoke to many others unless approached. I always kept to myself. I liked taking in knowledge and then going back to my room and writing.

This time, I went with a couple girls from my fabulous critique group.

And we had a blast.

For about 72 hrs, all we talked about was writing, editors, agents, writing, our books, writing, getting published, funny stories, writing, writing and more writing. It was so wonderful to have a group of people that loved to talk about writing as much as I do. I have never had that before. None of my friends write and my hubby can only talk about it so much and for so long.

I finally got my fix and I am truly addicted.

What did I learn? here are a few nuggets...
  • out of 5 million submissions, only 5,000 get published a year.
  • Only about 2% of the 5 million submissions get editorial letters, get to acquisitions meetings or get personal rejections. (that's me!)
  • You need inspiration and craft. "Inspiratin without art is basket making. Craft without inspiration is modern art."
  • "You don't write if you are not in front of your computer. You don't get published if you don't send out your work"
  • I am committed to this life and career - no matter what!
  • My time will come.
Not only was the weekend full of writing, but I had the best time. I laughed and giggled - like the hard laugh where you almost pee in your pants but don't for fear of rejection :). These 2 girls who I have only know for a few months felt like lifelong friends.

So not only did I learn about my craft and get re-inspired to write more. But I made a couple new friends that I feel I will know for years to come.

My soul is truly bursting with joy since I got back.

I have not stopped smiling or writing since.

1 comment:

Carrie Harris said...

Going with your critique group is such a good idea. Because it's so scary to walk into that room full of people and not know where to sit, isn't it? It was like being in high school again and all your friends were in a different lunch period so you had to sit by yourself in the cafeteria. ;)