3 S.R. Johannes: Friday Five/Marketing Round Up (9/11)

Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Five/Marketing Round Up (9/11)

My heart goes out to all involved for 911.

Here are my fav marketing posts for the week:

Know your genre and market trends - The question on genre and trends comes down to this: as a first-time author, should I write based on what genres or styles are popular now, or should I create something original and hope it appeals to a large audience?

Are you/your book findable online? Consider that again: Smart consumers these days trust what they find -- or discover -- on their own first and foremost! These are the ways you should be found.

Make sure more people (than your mom) read your blog - A few examples of ways that you can do it - and in the process hopefully grow your readership beyond your immediate family (not that there’s anything wrong with Mom reading your blog).

Twitter's New terms of Service - these are the basic rules that go along with using Twitter.

13 things to do on twitter besides tweet
- Tired of delivering the typical stream of status updates on Twitter? Why not try some of the following ideas for other things you can do with the service?

54 blog posts to read about blogging before you blog
- This list includes beginner tips, making money through blogging, thoughts on Twitter, how to produce content – and many other subjects in the world of blogging.


Have a great weekend!

17 comments:

Crystal said...

Love these links, Shelli! Thanks for sharing the info . . . :)

Hope you don't mind if I pass a few of these links along on my blog?

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Jessie - keep in mind you can start alot of these things now :) its actually better to start before you get agent/contract then you are set up on a platform already and everybody knows your name.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Sheesh, Shelli, looks like a have a lot of reading to do. ;) As always thanks for the great advice you share. It's worth more than you know.

Kelly Polark said...

Great links! I'm going to pass them along to a friend who just started blogging too! And my mom DOES read my blog! Yay! Hopefully more people do too. ;)

Susan R. Mills said...

Thanks for the links, Shelli!

Christina Lee said...

good stuff!!!! have a great weekend!

Kimbra Kasch said...

U R 2 cool!!!

Thanks for all this wonderful info.

Hope you have a wonderful - restful - weekend. You deserve it - just for sharing with us wannabes in writingland

PJ Hoover said...

Great links, Shelli. I love your roundups, especially for things like twitter tips as I'm such a newbie there.

kathrynjankowski said...

Thanks, Shelli. The "book findable online" link didn't come through for me, but I've bookmarked the 54 posts.

Looks promising.

You have a good weekend, too.

;-)

Robert W. Leonard said...

Your Friday posts end up taking a great deal of my time over the weekend. 54 blogs to read?? Thanks for sharing. :)

The pale observer said...

Hi Shelli - thanks for taking te time to post all these useful links. Glad I found your blog.

I'm in the process of deciding to write a semi-autobiographical book... So many questions...

I am a Canadian living in Ghana and have had so many interesting experiences.. just have to wonder who all it will appeal to.

I'll check out all your links and of course, keep your blog close to hand! :)

All the best
Holli in Ghana

Unknown said...

Hey, Shelli! I tagged you with an ABC's meme. Check my blog for instructions. Have a great day! :)

Also, are you going to be at Midsouth in a couple weeks? I thought I saw a message you posted on the listserv. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. I'd love to meet you IRL if you are.

Kwana said...

Great post. Thanks for the links.

Adrienne said...

Thanks for the info! I need to check out a few of these...

Anita said...

Thanks for these links! I HAVE A QUESTION. I didn't see anything here about purchasing a domain name, if you're not ready to build a site...just so you have it, you know. Not that I'm counting on being Anne Lamott, but I recently discovered someone bought her name before she could do it, so I want to hold some version of my name, but don't know where I should buy it from and if there are any other tidbits I should know. Thanks for considering answering this question!!!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

anita - yes! go to godaddy.cm and reserve your domain. I think it is 10$ a year. I have bought about 6 domains. :)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

robert, holli, kwana - thanks so much for stopping by! I always love finding new bloggies buddies.