3 S.R. Johannes: Bookanista: A Desires for the Dead sneak peek

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bookanista: A Desires for the Dead sneak peek

Have you read The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting?

You are missing out big time if you haven't.

The Body Finder is a YA thriller that begins with an intriguing and promising premise: violent deaths leave a unique imprint on the victim and the killer, and Violet Ambrose can sense them. Add in the facts that her uncle is the local police chief and that a serial killer is on the loose, and you have the makings for an exciting suspense/horror novel. Unfortunately, The Body Finder never lives up to its potential. Instead, most of the book deals with the relationship between Violet and her lifelong best buddy, Jay, who has suddenly blossomed into the junior-class hottie. Does he know that she is attracted to him? Does he feel the same about her? Is he really oblivious to all of the girls throwing themselves at him? Could they, should they, will they be more than friends? These questions are mulled over. And when they are finally answered, the writing devolves into near-bodice-ripper style.

What I love?

  • It is a thriller and you don't see many of those page turners in YA
  • Kimberly has a distinct voice. Violet is sassy and smart. Even though the book is in 3rd person, you feel so connected to the characters.
  • The relationship between Jay and Violet is adorable. I love their banter. The relationship is a good one. Balanced and healthy. I think kids need to see it can be this way.
  • I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. There's a scene in the woods that is gripping. I read this book in just a few days. (and I will never run in woods again)
  • The cover is to die for!

Desires of the Dead (coming March 2011)

I got the Desires ARC a couple months ago. Desires is just as good as The Body Finder. A nice surprise when the sequel delivers.

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.


As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

As far as what I like?

Ditto to everything above.


In Bookanista News

1. We have three new members: Veronica Roth, Megan Miranda, and Jesse Kirby!
2. The cover of Elana Johnson’s POSSESSION has been revealed.
3. Lisa Roecker is about to have her baby and is going on maternity leave from blogging. (Congrads Lisa - we will miss you!) Check out Laura's hilarious announcement.
4. ARCS of Beth’s ACROSS THE UNIVERSE are now out!!!
5. Christine Fonseca’s book EMOTIONAL INTENSITY IN GIFTED STUDENTS is coming out on FRIDAY!!!!!!

Check out the other Bookanista's Reviews today:

8 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Great review. I agree with you. This was a page turner. I didn't realize there would be a sequel but it sounds great.

I would love an Arc of Beth's book too. And yes, Elana's cover is gorgeous. I'm so happy for them both.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love Kimberly and can't wait to read Desires of the Dead. Great review, Shelli (as always). And thanks for all the other updates! :-)

Susan R. Mills said...

I've heard great things about The Body Finder. Already on my list. Thanks for the review.

Marquita Hockaday said...

I did really enjoy the concept of The Body Finder (especially being a former fan of Ghost Whisperer- Jennifer Love Hewitt's former TV show). And I met Kimberly Derting at the SCBWI conference this past summer in LA- she was so sweet! We talked about how great she wrote in the killer's voice and how fun that must have been. I really want to be a thriller YA writer as well so I am dying to read Desires of the Dead!!! Thanks for the information :)

Veronica Roth said...

I'm currently reading The Body Finder, and so far I LOVE the relationship in it-- it's so pleasantly different from a lot of what we're seeing in YA recently, which I definitely appreciate.

Great post! :-)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

I want, I want, I want! Can't wait to read it!!

Christine Fonseca said...

AHHH!!! Can.Not.Wait for this one!

lisa and laura said...

SOOOO excited for this book!