3 S.R. Johannes: Life's Connections

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Life's Connections

I truly believe everything is connected in some way throughout the universe. My husband used to send me emails titled "Love Connections" when we were dating and I loved them so much. Not only did I learn little facts but they were sweet and reminded me of the little things that keeps us all connected. I watched a tiny hummingbird today for a long time out my window and it reminded me of these sweet Connection pieces. Today, I thought I would try one...

In the morning light, I watched a beautiful hummingbird. A hummingbird's wings beat up to 75 times per second. A blue-throated Hummingbird can have a heart rate of 1,260 beats per minute. United States consumers buy more blue topaz gemstones than any other nation on earth. The word "topaz" comes from the Sanskrit tapas, meaning "fire." In 2002, forest fires burned a total of 6.17 million acres of forestland and wildlife habitat. The "Wildlife Warrior Foundation" estimates that a half million dollars was donated in the first week after Steve Irwin's death. Steve Irwin was tragically killed by a bull stingray off the Barrier Reef. A stingray never actually sees the food as it eats, since its eyes are on top of its head and its mouth is on the bottom. A butterfly has 12,000 eyes and no lungs, breathing through its abdomen. The Queen Alexandra's bird wing is the largest butterfly with a wingspan of 11 inches! Most hummingbirds are between 4-8 inches and weigh less than a penny.

We are all connected, why can't we act that way?

5 comments:

thethinker said...

We can't act as if we are connected, because as simple and ideal as that sounds, some people just refuse to cooperate. It's those people who ruin it for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't tell if this is a more powerful as a spiritual exercise or a writing exercise...

Anonymous said...

I'm posting this here because I just finished ready your Grace Under Fire description again. That book sounds so dang awesome. It's just a matter of time before it gets picked up. It just sounds too good.

Anonymous said...

It's definitely been more than 11.75 hours (maybe days) since I commented on this post. It's interesting how many times I've come back to this one. Heard a lecture on Tibetan Budhism earlier this week and I imagine that one of the things the monks meditate on is our interconnectedness. I guess there are many paths toward experiencing these connections.

Carrie Harris said...

Now that's actually a writing exercise that I wouldn't mind doing. Normally, I read them, nod and smile, and go on with my life. But I might actually try this one. Thanks!