3 S.R. Johannes: Sunny Sunday: Thanks for the bad times

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunny Sunday: Thanks for the bad times

Here's my Sunny Sunday kickoff to Monday's Project Perk.

(don't forget to check out Suzanne Young's blog and Robin Mellom's blog for more "perky" posts on Monday!)

I was trying to find something to post about today on Sunny Sunday to kick off to Monday Perks Project.

Considering my recent milestone in obtaining an agent. I thought I would write about being grateful and acknowledge how grateful I am for everything I have in my life.

My family
My friends
My health
My life
My passion
My mind
My heart
My willingness to grow
My strength
My hope
My love
My joy

Mostly, I am grateful for the path I am on. For my ongoing journey in this crazy life. No matter how hard and frustrating, everything scene leads to the fantastic reel of my life.

Then I started to realize that sometimes we forget to be grateful for the hard things in life. Sometimes we forget to love the rain, the storms, and the dark clouds as much as we love the sun and clear skies.

I think it is important to be grateful for all the hard times just as much as the good times. Not only do they teach you lessons but they get you to where you are today.

So thanks for the bad times. The hard times. The crappy times.

The pain
The sickness
The sorrow
The frustration
The failures
The fear
The fights
The struggles
The obstacles
The tears
The broken hearts

Today, I am grateful for the downside of life.

Because it makes the upside even sweeter.


=========================

A Poem of Gratitude

After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't mean security,

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises

And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open,

With the grace of a woman,
Not the grief of a child

And you learn to build all your roads on today,
Because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After awhile you learn that even sunshine
Burns if you get too much

So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
In stead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers

And you learn that you really can endure...
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth,
and you learn and learn...
With everything you learn.

- Shoffstall

7 comments:

Jessie Oliveros said...

I love that poem. I read it over and over when I was a teenager. Yes, I agree. You must to have opposition in all things, good and bad. It's harder to see the good in the bad when you are in the bad, unfortunately.

lisa and laura said...

SO true. Success isn't nearly as sweet unless you've worked your ass off (and suffered a few nasty rejections) to get where you are today. Amen sister.

Kelly Polark said...

Bad times do suck. But I do believe they make you stronger and more appreciative of the good times. Hurray for life! Every good, bad and boring part of it!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Beautiful post, Shelli. You gave me a lot to reflect on and reminded me of a little poem or saying that opens one of my favorite fantasy books, Ursula Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea. Here it is:

Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying life:
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky.

Saumya said...

I love this poem! And we have so much to be grateful for! It's good to take a break and remember that every once in a while.

Karen Strong said...

Thanks for posting that poem. Love it !

And congrats on getting an agent!

Danyelle L. said...

That is a beautiful poem! Thanks so much for sharing!