3 S.R. Johannes: Dear Grace, Thanks for the Good times

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dear Grace, Thanks for the Good times

Marketing ReMinder:

Don't forget tomorrow marks the first interview in the Marvelous Marketer feature for Mondays.

Lisa Schroeder - author of I Heart You, You Haunt Me is up first.

See you then!


Dear Grace

Dear Grace,

We have been together almost 2 years now and I have thoroughly enjoyed our time together. We have captured your story and I hope to share it with the world soon. On this long journey together we have shared tears, laughter, frustration, fear, worry, and secrets. You have made me a better writer and I appreciate everything you have given me. You will forever and always be a great friend.

Now that I am sending you out into the world, I must get a little space. This does not mean we cannot be friends or hang out. I just need to take a little time away so that I may recoop and regroup for our next adventure together. In the meantime, I have to help another friend, Gabriella (Gabby) and tell a different story.

Without you, I would never be where I am today. I would never have learned to love flyfishing, about the true beauty of the North Carolina Mountains, the history of Cherokee Indians, nor the true of pain of losing a family member. Throughout the process, you have never wavered in your strength, humor, trust, loyalty and grace :).

Thank you and I look forward to seeing you again soon
Love Shelli.

9 comments:

FerinyaGrace said...

oh, how sad, but exciting. Are you actually done or simply setting the work aside for a while? My main character's name is Grace too, Grace is my middle name and the character started out as an alter-ego when I was bored at school but as I grew up she developed into her own person with her own adventure for me to write about. I can't wait to get to the end of it! :)

Lauren said...

Good luck with sending Grace's story out into the world. With all your marketing sense and obvious writing talent that I read in your blog, I'm sure that the book will do very well.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Ferinya - done and subbing :)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

lauren - thank you

Carrie Harris said...

How nice you are to your book. If I wrote a letter to mine, it would be more along the lines of:

Okay, you're done. Now will you leave me alone, *@%&it? I need to do laundry!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting way to send off your character to "live on her own." I actually found that very moving.

Unknown said...

Love this. I guess Grace still has some growing up to do just yet. I'm ready to read when you are ready to send it to me.

Anonymous said...

I came back to read this letter to Grace post because I've been feeling unsettled and kinda grippy all day and then I realized what it was. I sent my WIP to my agent and...well...it was weird. I was missing and worrying about my character. What if she hates her? What if she doesn't get her? I'm not ready to write my character a letter. But I may soon.

Anonymous said...

Another thought about your Grace letter. I find it interesting you asked for space from her, which is a really interesting thing for me. What I've been feeling is that my character left me (abandonment issues? Who, me?).