3 S.R. Johannes: Belated Bookanistas - Going to "Dark and Hollow Places"

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Belated Bookanistas - Going to "Dark and Hollow Places"

Sorry about the late post. (ugh a day late! to be exact)

Carrie Ryan is one of my favorite writers. If I could pick a writer to write like - Carrie would be in my top 3. Why? because I LOVE how she walks the line between commercial and literary.

I love that she can write beautifully while having a pacy novel.

Oh yeah and after I met with her
(And Megan Miranda) last fall for lunch (aka Mexican fiesta!), I developed a huge writer crush on her. Not only is she so sweet, but she is hilarious - and you all know how much I love funny, sweet people.

Now, if you have not read this series because you are telling yourself "I am not a zombie person" I want you to know - "I am not a zombie person either!"

But a couple years ago, I happened to watch
Forest of Hands and Teeth trailer on Amazon and it scared the crapola out of me. yet intrigued me so much I bought the book that day. And a) i never read zombie stuff b) hate horror, and 3) hate to be scared like that. But the words on that video pulled me in.

And I've read all 3 books happily.

So after just finishing the Arc of TDAHP (which btw the sequels are really companion novels because they follow 3 different characters though they are all connected closely) - here is my shout out:

My top reasons why I love Forest of Hands and Teeth series (especially The Dark and Hollow Places)

1. The writing is gorgeous! Carrie is amazing with words.

2. The fast paces and scare factor - seriously, I was reading until late at night even when I had to get up early (damn you Carrie!:)

3. It is written with such a beautiful style that when I first started it - I'd forgotten it was a zombie book. 

4. Carrie was a lawyer but wanted to write. So after long days at the office, she would go home and write a chapter for her husband.

5. the nice romance that is not with a bad guy. But in a bad  - okay fine - crappy -situation.

6. I love the covers!

7. In an SCBWI YA masters class, Carrie's editor Krista Marino taught us about voice by dissecting Forest.

You know what? I could talk forever about how much I love this book, but I don't want to hold you up from reading it!

6 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Ditto! I love Carrie Ryan, I love her books, and I love the way she writes!! :-)

Janet Johnson said...

I have yet to discover her! Sounds like a great read. :)

Tracey Neithercott said...

I loved the Forrest of Hands and Teeth. I haven't read the others yet, but I'm sure they're just as beautiful. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I would call any other zombie book beautiful.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've been too much of a wimp to read these books - but sounds like I need to go ahead and dive in!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I have to read the last two books in the series. And I need to follow her advice of writing a chapter a day after a day of being a lawyer.

Danyelle L. said...

Just about ready to read part 1. So excited parts 2 and 3 are already out! :D