3 S.R. Johannes: Kirkus How I love thee!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Kirkus How I love thee!

Don't forget to check out the stops today on the tour where Ashley interviews my characters.

So look what I got in my inbox last week from Kirkus Review:

Gutsy teen Grace, who is much more at home fly fishing, hiking and tracking bears through the woods than hanging out at the mall or chasing boys, has a mission—to prove that her father is still alive.


Grace’s father—forest ranger and wilderness survival expert—has taught his daughter everything she needs to know to trek through the Smoky Mountains, searching for clues to his sudden disappearance. After the police find his torn, blood-stained shirt in a local river, they, along with Grace’s mother, assume he has been killed in a tragic accident. Despite being snubbed by the local police chief, running up against the wrath of the chief of the town’s Native American reservation and alienating herself from her distraught mother, Grace is determined to prove them all wrong. The spunky sleuth goes all out to find her dad, determined not to be put off by her longtime friend and admirer Wyn or distracted by the amorous attentions of the intriguing British stranger Mo. When she inadvertently stumbles upon a dark, dangerous secret, it challenges everything Grace thought she knew about her sleepy hometown and its inhabitants.


This thrilling story is a dramatic entanglement of mystery, deception and teen romance. The author has achieved a stunning, high-tension tale that takes the reader on a journey over rough terrain as it follows a young girl’s quest to find the truth and protect the sanctity of a national park and the animals that owe their survival to it. These unique, lively characters will rouse a gamut of emotions in young adult readers. The action flows like a brisk mountain stream interspersed with rapids, holding suspense to last page and then leaving an intriguing teaser in anticipation of the sequel.


A riveting tale of family ties, friendship and community loyalty.


Oh and here's the official link just in case no one believes it - trust me- I had to look it up a few times before I realized it was real. :)

yes I was shocked to. But it brought tears to my eyes. Why? because it was positive?

Kind of - but most importantly it adds some validation and credibility to what I'm trying to do.

I am good enough and some people have underestimated me.

Does it mean I will sell a bajillion copies? No. Does it mean I am the best writer in the world?

No, but it means I'm good enough and so is Untraceable.

And yes I should know that - but this is the first time someone in the industry has validated and recognized my hard work.

So what do you think - as an indie author - do you think this adds credibility? How do you feel reviews affect authors and their books? Is it different for indie vs traditional?

20 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

AWESOME, Shelli!
I think a positive Kirkus review is thrilling whether you are an indie or not! That is amazing!
How does Kirkus decide which books to review?

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's so awesome! Congrats! I think it should feel even more special because you are an Indie author. And it tells you that you are on the right track. So excited for you.

Corey Schwartz said...

Wow! AMAZING! So happy for you, Shelli!

storyqueen said...

Congratulations! And yes, I kind of think it add credibility. Lots of traditionally published books don't even get reviewed. To have one of the Big Reviewers take notice of your book is just awesome.

xoxo

Bkloss said...

SO glad to "meet" you and congrats on YOUR book!

I am SO happy for you - and it is encouraging to me because I think as epubbing gains ground, the lines will blur for the general public over traditional/non-traditional.

It's still a little different out there (I don't run into it MUCH, but I do about 15% of the time...), but I'm hopeful the differences will continue to become smaller and smaller...

Susan R. Mills said...

That's great! I think it definitely adds credibility.

DL Hammons said...

Validation is a sweet and wonderful thing! Congrats!! :)

Unknown said...

Yes it does--and also, be sure to include it in your press releases and publicity information. I know of a few bookstores and librarians who will only stock "unknowns" if they've been reviewed by a major publication such as Kirkus. So having this is going to be a big push towards distribution, if you plan to go that route.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

that review is thrilling!!! :D

Unknown said...

That's amazing! Congratulations!

Bidisha said...

This is effing amazing! CONGRATS. You earned it <333

MarcyKate said...

Wow, that is fantastic! Congrats - you deserve it! Can't wait to read the book when it comes out! :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I got chills reading that review! That's amazing!!! And well deserved :)

Congrats!!!

Peggy Eddleman said...

This is SO AWESOME! I'm so excited for you! Stunning, high-tension tale Seriously, you should frame that and hang it on the wall. So very cool.

Katy Upperman said...

Congrats again on a fabulous, fabulous review! I see where you're coming from on feeling a bit of validations... it's well deserved!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

So proud of you, girlie. <>

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Woot!! Heck yeah, Shelli--shout it from the rooftops. People don't turn their noses up at Kirkus reviews. :-)

Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban said...

Congratulation Shelli.
Yes I think it adds credibility. But the fact that it validates your work is as important for us writers.

Heather said...

Congratulations on your fantastic review! I definitely think it adds credibility. Reviews mean a lot to me, both as a reader, and an author.

roh morgon said...

That's awesome! Congratulations on not only getting a review on Kirkus (an accomplishment all on its own) but receiving such a glowing one.

Reviews do two things - they can provide the public validation that is so much more difficult for indies to attain (at least those of us just starting out) and they bring much-needed attention to an author's work.

Congratulations again. May this be first of many steps into the limelight!